Friday, February 24, 2012

Failing

I really hate to admit that I watch reality TV but I do.... it is somewhat of an addiction.  People fascinate me.  One show I watch is Survivor.  I was watching an episode last night (while doing sit-ups, lunges, and squats... just kidding.... I was sitting on my booty eating popcorn) and there was this young girl on the show.  She was talking about how she has never failed at anything because she never puts herself in a situation where she could fail.  I used to be a PRO at that.  When I was her age (early 20s)  the worst thing in the world would have been to fail at something.  I was easily embarrassed and humiliated and if I did fail at something it would wreak havoc on me for months.  I am not sure where the turning point came.  I think it was probably after my mom passed away when I was 23.  I realized that life is short and you better just do as much as you can with the time we have here.  Don't get me wrong, I really don't enjoy failing.  I don't think any of us do, but success is so much greater when we have failed a few times in the process.  It is so easy to stay in the comfort zone and not reach out and push ourselves beyond where we think we can go.  You never know until you try and in trying you might fail.... but you also might succeed.  We have to learn to laugh at ourselves, be a little crazy and allow ourselves the grace to grow.  I have literally fallen on my face in front of a ton of people but I picked myself up and brushed myself off and moved on.  What new thing will you try today that gets your heart racing at just the thought of it?  That is where life lives:)  

No comments:

Post a Comment