Thursday, February 23, 2012

Choices

I don't care where you come from.  I don't care how much money you have.  I don't care how many friends you have or what you look like.  This life is about choices.  Every single one of us goes through tough times.  You might not know mine and I might not know yours but it is a certainty that life gets rough.  It is how we handle the rough times that defines who we are.  How we choose to look at a situation has a great impact on how it will affect you and those around you.
I used to hide behind my long blond hair.  I used to think it was part of me.  It wasn't until I lost it all during chemotherapy that I realized it wasn't a part of me at all.  I chose to look at the bright side and guess what?  It ended up being the bright side.  I love not having to worry about my hair any longer.  There were days when I would have a hard time getting off of the couch - I just didn't have the energy - but it was a perfect opportunity to snuggle with my kids and get to know them better.  On an average day I would have been doing laundry or cleaning or cooking.... something other than spending that quality time with them.  As crumby as I was feeling physically is was the perfect moment to really get to know my kids and what was going on in their heads.
There is ALWAYS a way to look at a situation and see the positive side of it.  We don't get to control very much in this life but one thing we can control is how we decided to look at things.  So, next time you look in the mirror - see the beauty.  Next time you are frustrated, angry, unsatisfied or depressed - take a deep breath and see if you can turn it around.  Choose to find patience, serenity, satisfaction and joy.  You won't believe the difference it will make.

No comments:

Post a Comment